Russell Wilson won’t play Sunday for the Broncos despite being cleared from concussion protocol.
Wilson said he wanted to return to action this week after suffering a concussion last week against the Chiefs, but the Broncos organization decided to hold out their $243 million quarterback and start backup Brett Rypien against the Cardinals.
“Obviously for me, I always want to be out on the field,” Wilson told reporters Friday. “I believe in competing and being out there on the field no matter what the circumstances are. I’m an old school quarterback in that sense, that you have to be out there.
“I think at the same time it was a collective decision by the organization. They wanted to let me get some extra rest. I think Ryp’s going to be ready to rock and roll and our team.”
The 34-year-old Wilson left last week’s game against the Chiefs in the fourth quarter after hitting his head on the ground on a hard hit by Frank Clark. He returned to practice in limited participation on Thursday and said he “felt great all week.”
“Obviously to go through a concussion is a very serious thing. You have to be able to deal with it and be really smart,” Wilson added.
The nine-time Pro Bowler, who also has been dealing with a partially torn lat on his right side, has a career-low passer rating of 85.0 — and the Broncos are 3-9 — in his first year in Denver following an offseason trade from the Seahawks.
“Russ is one of the ultimate competitors in our game. He’s unbelievable,” Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett said Friday. “We informed him of the decision, and he’s not happy with it. He wants to get out there and play. He’s competitive, as we all know, and wants to compete for this team and be out there.
“We, as an organization, after discussing and talking through this entire week, have decided it’s best for our organization, best for Russell. We talked about this from top all the way to the bottom, looked at every single thing and just want to give him another week to get ready.”
Credit: Source link