One yard away.
The Jets fought until the end, but could not complete the 20-3 comeback victory. I blame the play-calling at the goal line for this one. Mike LaFleur got too cute at the one yard line. Punch the ball in with Bam Knight. Trust your offensive line to push forward and get that ball in the end zone. It’s one yard.
Fifty-eight passing attempts for Mike White is not the recipe to win games. But man did White play with guts and poise.
Jets fans could leave that game feeling positive about the direction of this team. It can play with the best in the league and it still controls its own destiny to make the playoffs.
To react to the 27-22 loss in Minnesota, we bring you a new episode of the “Gang’s All Here” podcast with Brian Costello and me.
Gang’s All Here Podcast with Jake Brown & Brian Costello:
- NO OVERREACTIONS: Jets played their tails off against a 9-2 Vikings team. Mike White showed a lot of grit. The defense had an incredible second half, including four three-and-outs. They were in this game with plenty of chances to win. Red zone failures doomed them. You can’t get to the red zone six times and score just one touchdown.
- MIKE F’IN WHITE: “He’s got balls.” – Coz. He got hit hard and thought he was hurt on the play before the fourth-down Corey Davis throw. To get up and make that perfect throw on a huge play is incredible.
- PLAY-CALLING: LaFleur has to draw up better plays at the goal line. Hated the play on third-and-goal at the 1. They are still adjusting to calling plays for White. They should have ran the ball early. You should never have the QB throwing the ball 55-plus times no matter who it is. Should have given Knight some more carries.
- GARRETT WILSON, OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: He could end up being one of the best Jets draft picks of all time. He is truly special. With White at QB, he looks like an MVP candidate.
- PLAYOFF PUSH: Luckily for the Jets, the Dolphins, Chargers and Patriots all lost. The Jets still control their own destiny. They have proven they can play with the best and will be in every game. Buffalo will be another tough test.
Catch up on all episodes of “Gang’s All Here,” a New York Jets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Coz and Jake on Twitter @BrianCoz and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of “Gang’s All Here” drop Monday and Thursdays.
Credit: Source link