People appear to be more interested in the backstage drama at “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” than the show itself.
Ratings for the daytime program — which is facing ongoing allegations of a “toxic” workplace culture — slipped to a series low last month, snagging a 1.0 Live + Same Day household rating for the week ending July 26, according to The Wrap, which noted that it’s a 9% drop from the previous week and a steep -29% fall from the same period in summer 2019. However, it’s worth noting that other talk shows currently in summer reruns have also faced declines, including “Dr. Oz,” which dropped 22%, and “The Real” and “The Doctors,” which are both down 20%.
Since its premiere in 2003, the chat-fest has evolved into a cheery showcase for A-list guests, heartwarming stories, prizes for audience members and goofy dance moves by the host. But in recent months, DeGeneres, 62, has faced a public downfall with allegations about behind-the-scenes impropriety that contrast with her sweet on-camera demeanor and encouraging words to “be kind.”
On July 31, it was reported that the host was thinking of abandoning her star-studded enterprise, which has taped at the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank since its premiere.
“She feels she can’t go on and the only way to recover her personal brand from this is to shut down the show,” an anonymous insider told DailyMail.com.
But the show’s staff reportedly returned to work remotely on Monday.
In early July, speculation fired up that the show itself could be canceled, and since then rumors even surfaced that late-night host James Corden might be in line to take over her show.
However, despite the brewing storm, an insider told The Post that “Ellen isn’t quitting” her talk show, and added, “James Corden has never once been spoken to or considered as a replacement for anything.”
Representatives for DeGeneres and the show have not responded to The Post’s request for comment about the show’s demise or the claims about workplace issues. But when previously asked about cancellation rumors by The Post last month, DeGeneres’ production company representatives said, “Telepictures can confirm it’s untrue.”
Late last month, dozens of staffers accused top executives of sexual misconduct, harassment and assault against underlings, with some specifically calling out head writer and executive producer Kevin Leman for his behavior.
On July 30, DeGeneres responded to criticism in a memo to staff, saying she was “sorry” and that unspecified changes would take place. However, another of the show’s executive producers, longtime staffer Ed Glavin, was reportedly being shown the door.
“As we’ve grown exponentially, I’ve not been able to stay on top of everything and relied on others to do their jobs as they knew I’d want them done. Clearly some didn’t,” she said. “That will now change and I’m committed to ensuring this does not happen again.”
That came on the heels of reports that WarnerMedia and an independent firm would be interviewing current and former employees about allegations.
Meanwhile, stars — including her wife, Portia de Rossi — have been lining up either in support of or against DeGeneres.
Credit: Source link