Eleven people died in a fire that broke out inside a temporary coronavirus hospital in India, according to a report.
The deadly inferno swept through Hotel Swarna Palace in the city of Vijayawada early Sunday morning, the UK’s Metro reported.
The hotel was being used to house COVID-19 patients.
A police spokesman said the cause of the blaze, which was brought under control in a half hour, appeared to be an electrical short circuit.
Twenty-two people were rushed to the hospital with injuries.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he was “anguished” by the fatal fire — the second in India in three days.
On Thursday, eight patients died at a coronavirus hospital in Ahmedabad when a fire broke out inside the critical care unit, the BBC reported.
A short circuit is also to blame in that blaze, which spread after a staff member’s PPE kit caught fire.
India has recorded more than 2.1 million COVID-19 cases — the third-highest number in the world.
On Sunday, the country recorded a new single-day record of 64,000 cases.
Credit: Source link